Re: [pyrnet] Re(2): [abuse detection

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dancingpyr@aol.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Re(2): [abuse detection

> In a message dated 9/29/00 10:16:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> clhenke@juno.com writes:
>
> << Carol, I am sure he is coming in with his own baggage and that is why
he
>  does have a distrust of men. >>

It can be tricky when an animal has been abused in a former home. Our Beau
suffered horrendous abuse in his former home before he came into rescue. He
was beaten, starved down to to 70 pounds, had whip marks all over him and
could not be kenneled because his former "daddy" used to lock him in a
kennel and bang on it with a stick or a wine bottle and scream filth at him.
He lost his former home when the man went too far one night and came after
his wife (whom he also abused) with a hammer. Even in his weakened state
Beau would not have that. And he took the man down and would not let him up
until he dropped the hammer. So the husband took him to the ASPCA the
following day and dumped him so he could no longer interfere with his
abusing of the wife.

I adopted and brought Beau home about a month before my husband came back
from sea. He knew we were getting Beau and was very excited about getting
our own pyr. As we had grown to love the breed so much from working in pyr
rescue. I however was sweating bullets! Beau bonded to me very quickly. And
I was scared to death that the abuse he had suffered at a man's hand would
make him hate my husband. When my husband got back to port we went to pick
him up from the waterfront. My son, Beau and I. I got my son out of the van
and put Beau on lead and waited with bated breath. When Dennis came up to
the gate he stood and let Beau approach him first. He them drew a napkin
wrapped bundle out of his coat. It contained six chicken nuggets that had
been served for lunch on the sub. He then offered these to Beau one at a
time. Needless to say, it was love at first sight! LOL! Beau has never held
a grudge against males. And loves my husband to pieces. In fact we took our
morning walk this morning on base. As we were setting off on the bike path
my husband drew up in the truck and got out to give me the cell phone. Beau
went running to daddy, reared up on this hind legs and gave daddy a big bear
hug. He sure does love his dad! We got really lucky!
Marie and Beau