Re: [pyrnet] GPCA

I'd like to wade in here again if I may.  I'm not sure Sandy understood
Charlotte's post, or perhaps I'm interpreting it from my own
perspective.  In any case, the GPCA has MANY goals and purposes beyond
establishing and defending the AKC breed standard.  As several people have
noted, it is becoming a more active club as it grows and it has taken on
valuable work in areas of health, education, obedience rules (jump
heights most notably), promoting various "working" activities such as
drafting for our Pyrs and encouraging people to interact with their Pyrs
through the excellent versatility program (and I'm sure I've overlooked
many valuable projects here).

And I DO understand that an AKC parent club does have to be more concerned
about its membership requirements than a regiional club in light of the
responsibility for the standard.  I just think we may have gotten a little
too exclusive.

OTOH, there seems to be an impression that the GPCA is controlled by some
elitist clique.  I have attended 6 Annual Meetings and this has NOT been
my impression.  The GPCA is very democratic and it is not unusual for the
membership present at an Annual Meeting to reverse several major policy
rulings by the Board.  The vote to refer the dwarfism and ILP issues to
the full membership apparently came at the Annual Meeting and shows me
that the process works.  These issues should be debated, considered, and
then voted on by the entire membership.

I have friends who belong to 2 other national breed clubs and I think the
GPCA is a stronger club than either of theirs.  It isn't perfect, but it
isn't just about breeding and showing.  I hope people who are genuinely
interested in the breed will persevere, join the GPCA, and actively
participate in its programs.

David
 David Kintsfather, Ph.D.       | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Prof. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | E-MAIL:      kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     | "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |              Francis David