Re: [pyrnet] Choke chains

<< The fear of choke chains or slip collars for pyrs seems to be universal. >>

I have not found this to be true. There are quite a few people on this list
who use choke chains for their Pyrs, including myself. There are some people
that use the prong collars as well. Used correctly, these are useful tools
for keeping a 100+ pound dog from pulling you wherever he wants to go. Before
anyone jumps on me, I am not saying that they should replace training! But
even a fairly well trained dog may go after something enticing and the choke
collar gives you an advantage.

I have also been reading quite a few reports about neck injuries caused by
those Halti collars. I assume that is when people use them improperly, but it
does give me pause. I would rather use a tool that I have been trained to use
properly than jump on the newest bandwagon.

JMHO,
Elaine and Pico