[pyrnet] Crossbreeding

Eric,

You make some good points.  Yes, all our
loved "purebreds" were originally created by
crossbreeding to some extent.  My own much-loved goldens
only were "created" at the end of the 1800s.  I guess my
criteria for those creating "new" breeds is that it
should serve some purpose, other than creating a trendy
new pet.

For example, if someone *were* planning to intentionally
crossbreed goldens and pyrs, there should be some reason
other than they sure make pretty puppies.  Since the pyr
was originally bred to work and think and reason
independently of its handler, in the field, and that is
not really a desirable trait in a pet (for most pet-
owners), though highly desirable to ranchers, perhaps
one could justify such a breeding to try to get the "I
reallyreallyreally want to work with you and do WHATEVER
you want because it is FUN" attitude of the golden,
while keeping some of the guarding behaviors, and the
beautiful size and coat of the pyr.  Is that enough to
justify creating a lot of mixed breed puppies who will
NOT meet that new "standard?"  Not for me to decide.

The breeder would need to have a clearly defined goal,
as far as temperament, appearance, etc., and a well
thought out plan for achieving that goal.  For what it's
worth, I have seen NONE of the golden temperament in
Gulliver, I think I got a pyr with a dye job!  ;-)  He
is much more independent than my "needy" goldens, but he
does love playing with them.  So, if Gully were the
first generation in such a planned "new" breed, he'd be
a failure!  He is definitely gorgeous, but got only the
coloring, that I've seen so far, from his golden
parent.  He does tolerate the male dogs well, though,
and all three goldens are males, as well as one of my
cockers.  I've read that male pyrs often don't accept
other large-ish male dogs, so maybe that is a golden
thing.  I'm not sure.

I'm a pretty vocal opponent of "trendy" breeds such as
the Mi-Ki, mini cockers, etc., and the moron backyard
breeders producing bad-tempered, unhealthy "purebreds,"
so I guess I'd be a tough one to convince that a new
breed is worth the collateral damage it could produce in
puppies that don't meet the standards for the new breed
or either of the "old" ones, but who still need good
homes.  I find it hard to imagine a need that can't be
met by one of the existing hundreds of breeds.

Just IMHO, of course.

Lori Whitwam

--
Ripley's Retrieve-It-Or-Not