Re: [pyrnet] Starting a Great Pyr on sheep....and photos of our new girl

In a message dated 10/17/00 11:06:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
woodskk@eburg.com writes:

<< A pyr can act the part of a LGD at an early age but can not defend
 itself against predators.  By 18 months they should have enough
 confidence to be an effective fulltime LGD. >>

I don't disagree with this.  We just did not tell the puppies at Split Creek
Goat Dairy that, so they did not know any better when they cleared the field
of a group of area  dogs and they work 365/24/7, as does everyone else at the
dairy.  Anyway there are  two of them, now about 10 months old, so that
helped.  Being a juvenile dog you would not expect her to be as effective
against a strong determined foe, but that is probably not what you will get.
The coyotes, feral dogs, and neighborhood dogs will most likely be detoured
by the marking and barking.  Pictures of her, she looks big enough that most
of these will stay away.  Still the idea given, to get a mate in with her is
very good.

Let us know how she progresses.  BTW, 78 Lbs is a nice weight for a 9 month
old bitch.  Don't mess with her dew claws (leave them on), but make sure you
trim them as they might grow around and into the pad.  You are very humid
there in Jackson, so watch for mats that can form hot spots.  You already
know all this from your other dogs, but Pyrs are real sensitive to skin
irritations.  IMHO, the most sensitive single area in a Pyr is the skin.

Joe