[pyrnet] A debarked Pyr

Well, I met my first "debarked" Pyr today. We ran into
another Pyr while walking with the kids at the park
and ended up chatting with the owner for a good long
time. He was a neutered male and I asked her whether
he was much of a barker (my Leo IS :-). She said that
after much deliberation, they had decided to have him
debarked. She said that it was that or find him a new
home and since he is truly a member of their family,
she said the decision was made for them. She said that
he still barks, but he can now stay out in the  yard
if he wants to, whereas before he could not because
the neighbors were so angry about the barking. She
said that they had tried "everything" before talking
to their vet.

Anyway, I am torn about this issue in general, but
this was obviously a much loved, happy dog. What do
y'all think? I have been told that barking is the
number one reason Pyrs end up in shelters. But then
you have to ask if maybe they are not suited for
urban/suburban life at all....

Random thoughts from Katie, owner of a suburban Pyr
who drives everyone crazy with his incessant outdoor
barking...

See my dogs:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=1478684603&n=436447237

=====