Re: [pyrnet] microchipping?

<<We are planning to have both our dogs microchipped shortly. Anyone know
how to find a place that does it? Also, what is the average cost and how can
we be sure if we are getting the right type of microchip?>>Katie

A subject kinda on my mind at the moment as it will be the topic of my
presentation at the World Conference next week (will I ever get this thing
written in time? :-/).

Here is a webpage with lots of info on microchipping:
http://members.aol.com/TesterDesp/ID-microchip.html

Most vets are likely to provide a microchipping service.  There are only 2
brands of microchips currently marketed in the US that I am aware of - the
Avid and the Home Again systems.  The AKC supports the Home Again system and
has set up a companion animal recovery service:
http://www.akc.org/love/car/index.cfm

Most of the newer scanners will read both chips though some scanners can
only read the Home Again.  For this reason I would probably choose the Home
Again as you have more chance of the chip being scanned properly.  Note the
important part of Microchipping is making sure that your dog is on a
register (and that you keep this info up to date).  The chip is useless
without the corresponding details on the register as the only info the chip
contains is a number.

HTH

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia