Re: [pyrnet] microchipping?

In a message dated 10/23/00 11:08:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
swhite2@houston.rr.com writes:

<< In Houston, the vets microchip the dogs when they are under anesthesia for
 something else.>>

Our vet didn't do that when we had Zoe microchipped.  She didn't seem to mind
the slightly larger needle being jabbed into the fatty area over her
shoulders.

<< It has been an issue in Houston, that there are different kinds of chips
and that the chip can migrate in the pet and not be found at the shelters.
 In my opinion, asking the local shelters what they can scan would be a wise
 way to select a microchip. >>

Here in SC, many of the shelters don't HAVE scanners.  Seems one of the big
scanner companies (think it was AVID?) offered to give the shelters a scanner
for their use, but the shelters refused.  As a result, if you have a dog
microchipped, it's best to also have the chip ID number on it's collar.  I
just hope none of my dogs wind up in the local shelter -- I don't fancy my
odds at getting them back.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC