Re: [pyrnet] HELP -- Need fencing advice

On 4 Nov 00, at 14:32, Old4fun@aol.com wrote:

> What about 6ft. chain link and then that slope inward at the top with
> either chicken wire or 3 or 4 strands of barb wire?  Does that help?
>
> Truly, these dogs could never adjust to the "pen!". (It would kill me!)

Actually chain link fencing is not the best to contain dogs.  The
bottom wire can come loose and it's very easy for dogs to push or dig
out.  Plus I have seen a determined pyr chew right through chain
link.  In our part of the country Horse fencing is available, pretty
sturdy stuff with reinforced bottom wire, that when strung nice and
tight is harder to dig out under. Horse fencing is also cheaper than
chain link and the holes are smaller so a pyr cannot stick it's head
through like field fencing. You can also lay some type of wire fence
on the ground before installing the upright fencing. Some people also
pound rebar into the ground every 10" or so, along the fence; this
helps keep the dog from digging out. I have heard that inward angled
top fencing does work but hot wire might be cheaper. Oh and the pen
is not going to kill your dogs, being uncontained just might.  All of
mine have been raised in pens for their safety when pups.  Most of
the time they have free run of my fenced property, but there are
times they all go back into their pens.  I have workman here, one is
sick, one dog is grumpy, whatever.  As long as they get exercise
daily they are fine and a pen does not have to be small.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://members.aol.com/greatpyrenees/judys/judy.htm