Re: [pyrnet] possible show puppy

From: "Katie Allison Granju" <kgranju@yahoo.com>

<< So my question is this: in a very "hot" litter like this, should I be
interested in taking any pup with no obvious
disqualifying fault or should all litters have some pups who aren't
obviously faulty but who aren't quite show quality? All the pups in this
litter will apparently be the same price>>

What does your breeder say?  IMO, any breeder that tells you that ALL pups
are show quality is full of **it.   I don't know of any breeder in the
country that consistently produces litters where all of the puppies are
show.

Recently, I have had the opportunity to visit a few breeders and their
puppies of various ages.  I watched these puppies grow from 3-4 weeks to
8-14 weeks.  After awhile, you can clearly see why some are pets and some
are not.  BTW, "Pet Quality" puppies are usually sold at a lesser price then
show quality puppies.  Also, read your contract before you sign it.  Make
sure that what you are getting is what you expect.  Will you be required to
breed this bitch?  (if you're showing her and the breeder wants something
back out of her then you probably will).  How many puppies will the breeder
want back?  (some ask for the entire first litter, no kidding!).

Katie, I know that this is very exciting for you, but don't jump into this.
I waited for 2+ years before I got a show puppy.  I studied the GPCA
Illustrated Standard, went to dog shows, watched movement and conformation,
asked LOTS of questions (of myself and breeder friends of mine), and I know
that the commitment that I made is a solid one.

Hope that this helps.  Time for coffee.   :-)

Karen Reiter
kreiter@servtech.com
Fairport, NY  USA

---