Re: [pyrnet] Leash training

I'd second what someone else suggested--a trainer who makes house calls. I
really think, from what you describe, that you need some professional help
to get this girl into training. I wouldn't know where to start, other than
being sure that there's no physical problem (although I guess you need a
vet who makes house calls too! What have you been able to manage re
regular veterinary care such as shots etc.?). Our trainer insisted on
making a house call before any puppy or dog started training classes. It
enabled her to observe the dog in its own environment, including the ways
in which the humans were coping (or not!), and although not inexpensive,
was a terrific investment. We got so many tips that have really helped.
Our boy was only 3 months at the time, but he was very dominant, and we
learned how to deal in such a way that he's become a wonderful, calm
companion. Your local SPCA or animal shelter may have a list of referrals
to trainers, or ask around among other dog owners. I'd be really careful
to get someone who used gentle, positive techniques, given the problems
you describe.
Good luck!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose