[pyrnet] TRAINING: anticipating the correction

    I have been training Pico using a choke collar for the past six months
and he has been doing really well. However, he recently came up with a new
trick and I am not sure what to do. He is terrible about picking stuff up off
the ground and eating it if it passes his stringent guidelines. When I see
that he has picked something up, I say no and give him a correction with the
leash. He has learned to anticipate this and he now watches me to see when I
am ready to give the correction so that he can jump in the direction I am
pulling. He then stays right next to me, so I don't get a second chance. The
first time this happened, I thought it was just a coincidence, the next time
it happened, I could see him watching me so he could see what way to jump. Of
course, during all this, he is busily chewing on his little tidbit so he can
swallow it as soon as possible. Sometimes it is very hard not to laugh.
    Does anyone else have any experience with a situation like this or
thoughts on a better way to keep him from scarfing up whatever he comes
across on our walks. One other thing, please don't say reach in and take it
out of his mouth. I can do that, he will let me, I just don't want to pull
out some of the things he has found. yuck!

Elaine and Pico AKA chowhound