Re: [pyrnet] Luxating patellas and other problems

----- Original Message -----
From: Janice Swenson <janices@austin.rr.com>

On 23 Dec 2000, at 10:44, darrell goolsbee wrote:
> I'll have to admit that it puzzles me why there is so much passion over
> dwarfism as compared to other problems such as luxating patellas,

Actually you're not the only one who's puzzled.  >>

I'd be happy to get passionate over luxating patellas which is the second
most commonly reported orthopedic problem in the breed and seems to be
working its way to #1.  AND, it is a condition that a dog cannot live with
without surgery (unlike dysplasia) and is commonly missed or misdiagnosed
until the arthritic damage becomes so extensive that the dog is "crippled"
for the rest of its life no matter what in done.  So, I ask you all, how
many of you have had your dog's knees checked and certifed, as well as
their hips?  If anyone out there has had a dog with luxating patellas (or a
dog whose knees have been certifed clear by OFA) the health committee asks
you to particpate in the GDC research database on the problem.  More
information about doing this can be obtained from me lmweisser@olywa.net,
from JoAnn Teems  teems-hohman@localaccess.com
or Michael Jourdan grandjour@netscape.net

 We can talk all we want.  Until we are blue in the face and we can bemoan
everything that everyone (usually "else") does not do, but where are we
when it counts?  You want someone to get passionate?  I can do that!!  Why
are you still using OFA just for starters?  Why are you not using an open
registry and helping build a useful database in our breed that will be
there in the future when many of us will be dead or out of the breed and
what we know will be forgotten.  Why are people not submitting the x-rays
of their affected dogs to GDC?  It's FREE folks and absolutely necessary to
the future of the breed.

And while we're on heart and eye issues, the GDC maintains open eye
registries and now an open SAS registry for all breeds.  And registries for
ALL orthopedic problems.

Linda