Re: [pyrnet] Pyrs without Dwarf producing ancestors

Joe
Yes it is a simple recessive in Beagles as well.

In answer to your question; we simply send a pedigree to our geneticist, she
checks the data base and gives you probabilities.  Bear in mind our Beagles
major dwarf producers are pretty well known.  After there are 1000 pups out
there it gets pretty hard to hide the problems.  She can pretty well tell you
which direction to lean away from.
Now the database was created for all health problems originally, but some
problems
have worked their way to the forefront just as dwarfism seems to have
captured everyone in Pyrs for the moment.
Our database was created by the breeders who came forward and wanted to
eliminate it from their kennel as rapidly as possible.  I applaud the
breeders in Pyrs who have made the call to the commitee, submited pedigrees,
DNA or whatever.
I'm sorry they feel they have to hide in secrecy.   I have been in their
shoes, it is heartbreaking.  But I also know that without ALL of us working
and sharing information, we will not get anywhere.

Sincerely
Sharon Hodgdon