Re: [pyrnet] Pyrs without Dwarf producing ancestors

Hi Barb
Thank you for your input.  I know several times the GDC was submiited as an
example to submit health information to.  And I think its a wonderful
organization.

But the Beagle people were not comfortable with a cut and dried printout or
report.
By having a geneticist that followed the database for many years, she was
able to give much more input after getting to know the many breeders she
worked with.
If she felt someone got around a problem with a certain breeding, or she had
identified a dog NOT carrying a particular gene, she was invaluable in that
knowledge.

In many cases she was instrumental in finding a stud dog for me who was not
carrying dwarfism, but could also tell me his percentages of producing
epilepsy, not to mention the true top producer being identified by his sire
index.  Not that I could not have found some of teh information, I could
have, but it might have taken ages to search it all out.   For example who is
the top producer really? The dog who is bred to 20 bitches in a calendar
year, and 10 finish.  Or the dog who sires two litters and all of them
finish?

I think many people in Beagles wanted the comfort zone of someone genuinely
interested in dogs particularly, and not just a computer spitting out
information on a printout, with no relative background.

Sharon Hodgdon