Re: [pyrnet] Dwarf/dwarf breedings.

----- Original Message -----
From: <JGentzel@aol.com>

<<I thought we were talking about a contemporary dog that is less than
probably
4 or 5 years old.  I got the impression this dog had been used at stud
successfully.  I could be all wet here, but the thing I remembered is its
owner was not ready to acknowledge that the dog was a dwarf as it looked so
normal, but had been diagnosed as such. >>

Let's not beat around the bush here since the existence of this dog has
never been a "secret" by his breeder.  If you are talking about Mike's
dwarf pup (aka Ernie) he was two last Nov and has not been successfully
used at stud.  Mike (his breeder/owner) has always accepted that he is a
dwarf as were two others in the litter who were euthanized.  That is a long
and unpleasant story which does not need to be retold here.  The dog was
x-rayed at 8 weeks and then again at 7 months and those x-rays were sent to
Sande who in both cases identified him as chondroplastic.  As he did the
other two at 9 weeks.  Keep in mind that diagnoses from "experts" tend to
be put in terms like "these findings (or some such) are typical of
chondroplasia" etc etc.  They never quite come flat out and say "This
is...."  I have copies of those reports.  I have just filed them somewhere
and can't find them <bg>.  It's on my list to look for them.

Just as a sidelight.  The impressions that you got, and to the best of your
understanding, clearly demonstrate the need to go straight to the source.
If you knew or demanded to know who bred this dog and then had contacted
his breeder, the correct information would have been forthcoming.  I am not
criticizing or "scolding" you here, just trying to say that a lot of what
is out there as information is a bit (actually more than a bit) like the
old telephone game.  This was true of what you heard about Carolyn's
motives for sperm banking Ubu.

<<offspring from Dwarfs will
be extremely hard if not impossible to get. >>

Since they are not being bred, that's a pretty good assumption.

<< As far as any reluctance from
the dogs owners, we should be able to protect them if that is important to
them. >>

Protect them from what, and how?  Unless we have a basically open database
(registry) then all this talk and work will be pointless.  Closed
information systems will do nothing to help people like Sharon in their
quest for facts.  A lot of this discussion has concerned how or where
people could find out about known (and possibly suspected) carriers.  If we
are "protecting" owners then it is all sort of wheel spinning.

Linda