Re: [pyrnet] neighbors.

Cindy's quite right.  Back in 1993, that's 1993 pp, as in pre-pyr, we had a
handfull of chickens.  They were only about 1 1/2 years old, and all named
<G>.  One day, a couple of the neighbor's dogs got into the chicken run.
Now, mind you, this was totally enclosed by wire, and the dogs got in by
tearing a hole in the wire.  When we got home, we found the dogs standing
among the dead chickens.  I wanted these dogs dead, right on the spot, but
David wouldn't hear of it.  Instead we took them immediately to the county
humane society.  Mind you, these were not ferrious dogs.  When we put them
in the car, they were very well behaved, and in other circumstances would
have been petted and played with.  We think they were the pets of a
neighbor that lived down the road, but who let them run.  What possessed
them to go after our chickens we will never know.  I just wish I knew that
they never did it again!

And yes, Pyrs can hurt stock by chasing them.  Our Zoe wasn't raised with
livestock, and literally hasn't a clue that our goats are just funny
looking dogs!  While she doesn't intentionally harm them, she does chase
and want to play with them, and they don't understand why this is going on.
Fortunately, we took the proper precautions when we first introduced her,
and no body got injured.  Now we just don't let her in with the goats --
she guards the couch and TV <G>.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees