Re: [pyrnet] Pet Store Loved One

Dawn,

It's truly refreshing to read a story like yours where everything works out,
almost like you and Cassa were *meant to be*.  However, my experience has
taught me differently.

Many (if not most) of the dogs that I've had to deal with in rescue either
A) originally were purchased at a pet store and dumped at a shelter or B)
the owners call our rescue organization for help in placing these dogs.  If
I had to estimate (I do have actual numbers but not in front of me) I'd say
that 65-75% of the Pyrs that we place originally came from pet stores.  Pyrs
are different in that they are so cute and fluffy when they're small.  WE
(Rescue) get the calls when they're grown (6 - 18 months) because now
they're "So big" and "We didn't know how big they would get" or "They bark
too much" or "They shed to much".  The *problem* with Pet stores is that
many folks buy puppies from them on impulse with no regard as to what the
breed (Pyrs) is all about.

Please don't misunderstand me as I'm not faulting your experience or
situation.  But with respect to Pyrs being sold in pet shops, keeping them
is the exception and not the rule (IME).

Best Wishes and thanks for letting me vent.   :-)

Karen Reiter
Pyrenean Fanciers of the NE Rescue Chair...
kreiter@servtech.com