Re: [pyrnet] Working Show Dogs

>     Exactly!  But for some reason many LGD breeders don't care to know
about
> standards, pedigrees or even registration.  And we must admit that fads do
> plague the showring, although maybe not quite so bad with Pyrs....yet.
>
> Chrissy

Maybe not as bad in the Pyr show ring as with some breeds, but I am
starting a list of "never to show to again" judges because of the type of
dog they put up.   There have been several times that I've watched judging
(didn't know the dogs entered form Adam's hounds, if you know what I mean,
and didn't have one in the ring of my own, so no sour grapes here) and
really wondered WHY they put up the one they did.  Granted, I was sitting
on the side lines, and didn't have the benefit of running my hands over the
dog, feeling the coat, looking at the bite, etc, but when a Pyr that has a
decided pigment problem, or a "wonky" gait is put up over sound movers with
good pigment, I really question the judge's decision.  Wish they would
judge dogs like they do goats -- the judge gives a verbal critique of each
goat, stating what he liked about the goat, and why it was placed over the
previous one.  Very interesting to hear, as well a good learning experience
for all.  I think if some of these judges had to do this, there might be
changes in the results.

Fads are definitely present in the show ring, and until judges put their
foot down to stop these fads, people will continue to follow them.  There
was a story I heard on another list concerning Yorkies.  Seems some
handlers go so far as to fix false top knots on some of the dogs!  We don't
have to deal with situations like this, but how many times have you seen a
Pyr raced around the ring to hide a soundness problem, or a cloud of chalk
billowing behind one on it's way to the ring.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees