Re: [pyrnet] Introducing a Pyr puppy to my cats

Lisa, does the pup have any cat experience?  Usually it is not a real big
deal with a puppy and cats that know dogs.  Hold or have the pup on leash
at first.  He will be more excited about seeing cats than the cats will
be about him.  The cats may hiss or spit, but only in response to his
puppy exuberance.  He may at some point get a swat on the nose, usually
padded paw.  Only if he gets too overwhelming will they resort to nails
out.  Your job is to protect his eyes, until he learns ( quickly enough )
to go easy till the cats really accept him.  I find that people get way
more worried about this than it merits.  I've never had animals that
didn't accept one another, and usually without a great deal of fuss.  In
fact I think we make it worse by fussing over them.  Introduce them in a
controlled fashion.  Don't let the pup become too excited, and the cats
will teach him what he needs to know to live with them.   At least that's
always been my experience, especially when dealing with a pup.  :-)
Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas