Re: [pyrnet] Placing pyr pup with heart condition?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caren Litvanyi" <litvanyi@synack.net>

The pup was recently taken to Colorado State University's Vet
Hospital, where it was diagnosed with Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia.<snip>
Is there ANY chance of finding a
home? >>

Hi Caren,

I am assuming that while at CSU, the pup had a cardiac ultrasound to get
the diagnosis?  If anyone is interested, here are two web sites to check
out Tricupid Valve Dysplasia:
http://www.labbies.com/tvd.htm
http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/cardio/cases/case23/text.htm

I know that you would like to find this puppy a home.  Especially since at
this young age it seems to healthy.  I had a TVD puppy who was wonderful at
that age.  As he got older it was clear that there was something wrong.  He
was constantly bone thin and lacked the stamina of the others.

There may possibly be someone out there who would take this puppy.  That
would be a wonderful thing but I think that you need to consider what this
person is opening herself up to and if she is really able to withstand it.
I would never place this pup with anyone as their first Pyr, let alone
their first dog.  I think that it would have to be someone who has already
been through the "agony" of having a dog (especially a pyr) die.  And
remember that chances are nearly 100% that the owner of the dog will have
to make the choice to euthanize this pup which will make it even harder.
Finding just the right home may take months and months, even a year or so.
By that time the choice may already have been made for you.  Frankly, I
have really strong feelings about placing chronically ill or debilitated
dogs.  Few people are truly prepared for the difficulty and the pain in the
end.  All the good intentions in the world become small when that dog is
really sick and eventually dead.  Especially in a case like this where the
lifespan is very limited.

I understand that you and the pup's present caretaker want to give this
pups a chance at some life, no matter how short.  I guess that I ask--if ne
ither of you can do it, how are you to find someone who will?  These are
all very hard questions and very hard choices.  Loving dogs involves so
many of those.

I would ask a favor.  Would one of you go to:
http://www.servtech.com/public/kreiter/Survey_Info.html
and fill out the GPCA health survey on this pup.
If you have problems on line, email Karen Reiter (GPCA Health Committee
database manager) kreiter@servtech.com and she will send you a paper copy
that you can fill out and return.

Thank you.
Linda Weisser
Co-chair GPCA Health Information Committee
Olympia WA USA
lmweisser@home.com