Re: [pyrnet] Fw: shelters

Peggy, is this a regular shelter or a no kill?  I know how you feel, even
within a breed rescue.  Breed rescues complain that people will go buy a
pup from someone else, rather than take a dog from rescue.  It's a catch
-22 because I'm not sure what the answer is as far as how you screen
people?

We were not able to go through rescue due to not having
good fencing ( work in progress on this acreage ).  The vast majority of
people can't seem to keep a dog in, with good fencing.  We go outside
with our dogs and watch them when they are out.  On the few occasions
when they have taken off.  They have been collected within minutes,
because we are there, and know.  But how is rescue going to really know
that we take this responsibility, because we know we eventually will have
good fencing, and for now we are willing to watch them to keep them safe?

Usually the pounds are far less fussy, I have found, so it surprises me
that they gave you that much of a run around.  I've often wondered how I
would screen people, what could be done to make it better?  Yes, I think
following up on references and checking with the people Vets. are a good
place to start.  I also believe that breeders should not breed a litter
till they have checked to see what rescue stats are in their area, but
you know that isn't going to happen!  It's tough...and I understand your
frustration! :-)  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas