Re: [pyrnet] BARF

<< I think one of the lists is yours.  :)  I've tried getting on the
BARFPyrs site but it won't work.    My main questions at this point are what
to feed and how much to feed each dog per day depending on age/size.  Also,
I've heard it's less expensive than commercial dog food, yet better for them
but I just don't see how.>>Chrissy

Have you ben trying to join at eGroups or smartgroups?  The list was moved
to smartgroups some time ago: www.smartgroups.com/groups/BARFPyrs .  If you
are still having trouble let me know and I will se what I can do.

Re what to feed - the best thing to do to learn this is to get one of the
books and start taking a look around the BARF webring to see what others are
doing (and ask a few BARF lists ;-) ).  the diet is infinately variable as
it can be easily adjusted to suit an individual dog, but there are some
basic 'guidelines' to keep in mind too.  these sources will help you learn
about them.

Re how much - this will vary from dog to dog although most recommend
starting with 2 to 3% of bodyweight.  From there you observe your dog and
feed more or less if they need it till you find an amount that suits your
dog.

It costs me hardly anything to feed my three dogs - about AUS$10 a week.  A
lot of people do find it can be more expensive at first until they find good
priced sources for things.  Having a freezer so you can buy in bigger
amounts (standard 'bulk' order is I believe a 40# box.  I buy a 10kg box of
chicken frames for AUS$6).  supplements can raise the price too if you
decide to use a lot of these.  I dont - I just use a select few and feed a
variety of foods.  Many 'BARFers' (those who feed BARF to their dogs) have
got bargain shopping down to an art and tips on where the 'good deals' can
be found are common on BARF lists.  Many of the regional  lists have
'co-ops' where people band together to buy in bulk and get better deals.
Their is also a BARF supplier list to put people in touch with suppliers.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm