re: [pyrnet] Housebreaking question

Hello to all. I have a friend in TN who has been offered a 5 month old
 Pyr/lab mix puppy. She has seen the pyr mother and I am told that the pup
 looks and acts like a pyr. This pup has been outdoors with it's mother who
 is a LGD. She would be keeping this pup as a housedog. And she wants to know
 if 5 months is too old to make for successful housebreaking? She is looking
 into getting an X large crate at my recommendation. Any help would be
 appreciated. I would need your permission to forward the responses to her.
 Thanks.
Marie McFarland
 Pyrangel Rescue Network
 GA Representative

Hi Marie,
Is the pup male or female? I agree with Cindy..."Let it out after
eating, playing, and sleeping at first, not because it can't hold at this
age, but to let it know where it is expected to go."
Is the pup going to be the only dog of the house.  Sometimes having another dog around that is already housebroken makes the learning process go a lot quicker. A friend brought a housebroken adult dog into her home for a week, and her pup was trained by the time the training dog went home. Her training dog was the same sex as the pup.
Forward this if you wish.

Merri, Emmett(Pyr) & Melvin(GS,GR)

Mer