re: re: [pyrnet] Housebreaking question

> Hello to all. I have a friend in TN who has been offered a 5 month old
>  Pyr/lab mix puppy. She has seen the pyr mother and I am told that the pup
>  looks and acts like a pyr. This pup has been outdoors with it's mother who
>  is a LGD. She would be keeping this pup as a housedog. And she wants to know
>  if 5 months is too old to make for successful housebreaking? She is looking
>  into getting an X large crate at my recommendation. Any help would be
>  appreciated. I would need your permission to forward the responses to her.
>  Thanks.
> Marie McFarland
>  Pyrangel Rescue Network
>  GA Representative
>

> Hi Marie,
> Is the pup male or female? I agree with Cindy..."Let it out after
> eating, playing, and sleeping at first, not because it can't hold at this
> age, but to let it know where it is expected to go."
> Is the pup going to be the only dog of the house.  Sometimes having another dog around that is already housebroken makes the learning process go a lot quicker. A friend brought a housebroken adult dog into her home for a week, and her pup was trained by the time the training dog went home. Her training dog was the same sex as the pup.
> Forward this if you wish.
> Is the pup male or female?

The puppy is a little female.

> Is the pup going to be the only dog of the house.

She will be the only indoors dog. With four felines siblings and 3 two
legged siblings.
Awe, too neat! Since she is not the only... the pup should catch on quick. Sounds like a big loving family. She should fit right in. It also sounds like there are outdoors dogs, so there will be designated potty areas. I got a tip from a friend when training Emmett. If the dog goes inside scoop up the matter, and take it out side with her. Then every time she has to go take her to her spot. In no time she will just go to her spot.  It works! Just not with Emmett...lol

Please send our congratulations to your friend on the new addition to their family.
Merri, Emmett (Pyr) & Melvin (GS, GR)
Spokane, Wa

Mer