Re: Re(2): [pyrnet] ANOTHER Pyr jumping fence

----- Original Message -----
From: <Lisasark@aol.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: Re(2): [pyrnet] ANOTHER Pyr jumping fence

> Hi and HELP
>
> My 10 month old pyr just started jumping our fence.  It is a big problem
for
> us because he also has separation anxiety and must be left outside
otherwise
> he destroys the house.  We have had him on clomicalm for two months with
no
> improvement and he has senn a dog behaviorist and goes to group dog
obedience
> training once a week

Lisa I feel for you! My Beau had a raging case of seperation anxiety when I
adopted him from rescue. In fact that was one of the reasons I adopted him.
He would have been very difficult to place. And it was felt that someone
with a good working knowledge of the breed and the time and patience to work
with him to overcome his fears was needed. I am sorry clomicalm did not work
for you. Beau was on this medication for 7 months as well as behavior
modification and a round of basic obediance classes. And it worked very well
for him. Although it does take 2 to 4 weeks to see noticable results from
clomicalm, He did very well at obediance classes. He graducated second in
his class (just had to brag a little there, sorry). And it really helped
with his self esteem. If the clomicalm is not working perhaps your vet and
you could try a different medication for anxiety and fear. How long have you
had your pyr? Did he always have seperation anxiety or is this a new
behavior for him? Has there been a big upheaval or change in his life or
your home that could be causing the anxiety? Seperation anxiety can take a
very long time to overcome. When I started with Beau my vet told me it could
take a year or more for him to settle down and trust that we loved him and
where not going to abandon him. Luckily he did it far faster than the vet
thought he would given his history of abuse before he made it into rescue.
Marie and Beau