RE: [pyrnet] Pyr jumping fence

Julie, when I was researching for my LGDs, I read that some Pyrs will insist
on getting out of a fenced area because they somehow perceive that "their"
territory to protect should be larger than you think it is.

If this is the problem, you might have a dog that is a REAL livestock
guardian dog, as they were originally bred to be.  After all, these guys
were bred to be nocturnal, to roam the pastures with the animals they guard,
to mark their territory with urine and feces, and to bark to warn off
predators -- all night long, if necessary.

Have you even had the opportunity to watch her once she's out?  Does she
seem to be protecting the area or does she just take off?  Some one else
today noted that her dog was staying out at night to guard, even though they
wanted the dog in the house and her husband had to recapture the dog in the
middle of the night.

Another idea I read, though haven't had to use, is a "dangle board" or
"drag".  It's a piece of wood attached by a short chain to the dog's collar
that prevents it from jumping.  Check "Livestock Protection Dogs, Selection,
Care and Training" by David E. Sims and Orysia Dawydiak, page 54-9 for info
on making and using a drag.  This is also an excellent book for anyone
working with Pyrs -- the authors really understand the psychology behind the
behavior.

Good luck!
Sandy Snyder