Re: [pyrnet] Shelters and Breeders (was: shelters)

In a message dated 1/25/01 8:11:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, clhenke@juno.com
writes:

<< Karen, could you at some point give me a rough idea of what prices on a
 few random other breeds run up in your area?  If you have a paper
 available, that type of thing.
 No biggie, I am just curious as to what the real differences are around
 the country price wise.  Bet it would be interesting.  Funny enough on
 average there may be none, to three ads. for Pyrs. in our Dallas paper.
 A huge group would be five listings.  It's the flea market sales, and the
 stock ranchers that get us with Pyrs. here.  Have enjoyed talking about
 this with you!  :-)  Cindy

 Cindy Henke
 clhenke@juno.com >>

Cindy:

Last week, one of our neighbors (Husband and two boys bought it for her
birthday) a Lhasa Ahpsa puppy from "GENTLE GIANTS" (extremely unfortunate
name) Pet Store in our local mall. (Connecticut) They paid $750.00!!! She
told us that her husband had "Bargained Them Down from $800.00. the salesman
told her husband that "The Breeder" was "An Older Woman" who lived "Out WEST
Somewhere." My wife asked her if the salesman also sold used cars!

Our neighbor, who already owns a mixed breed dog and is a good person, had
told us that she wanted a Lhasa Ahpsa for her birthday. We had offered to put
her in touch with "Valley Dog Rescue," (a regional rescue group that we
belong to) or to help her find a legitimate breeder. She is aware of puppy
mills and told us that her new puppy was going to the Vets for a physical
checkup. She was happy to have "RESCUED" this puppy from the pet store.

Why did they do it? They did it because it was Quick and Easy!!! Our
neighbors are good and decent people, but we could not persuade them to
return the puppy. Will they provide a good home for it? Yes, they will. What
else can one do except to inform, cajole, and plead with people to refrain
from patronizing these places?

Terry Rickert in Connecticut