Re: [pyrnet] Invisible fences and Pyrs with Anxiety

On 25 Jan 01, at 4:57, PyrLove214@aol.com wrote:

> The dog in question needs to be seen by a vet and treated for his
> anxiety problems.  The invisible fence will probably not work for this boy
> obviously he does not care what he has to do to get to his flock (his
> people)

Pam, I have also seen dogs that just want to roam.  I always call
these dogs ' short circuited '.  The roaming instinct is so strong
there is no way they would ever make good LGD's. S/N does help to
some extent on the wandering issue, but once this type of pyr is
allowed to roam it's a way of life for them.  One of the dogs I had
in rescue also developed separation anxiety when I left him and also
became extremely anxious when he was contained, he had been a master
roamer.  It took months for him to realize that being contained meant
good things. We did not use drugs, just reconditioning.  Now this dog
and his pyr companion come to be boarded and he is fine.  We have
another pyr boarder who is a master escape artist, unless his doggy
companions are with him.  We boarded him without his companions and
he became extremely anxious and stressed and looking for a way out.
The next time he was boarded his buddies were with him and he was
calm.

Possibly the answer to the roaming and escape problem is S/N, good
solid fencing with hot wire and a companion for the pyr.

Yippie, let it snow, let it snow....let's hope it does not go around
us like it has for weeks.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico