Re: [pyrnet] Invisible fences and Pyrs with Anxiety

Judith Stroh Miller" <jsmiller@newmex.com>

 I have also seen dogs that just want to roam.  I always call
these dogs ' short circuited '.  The roaming instinct is so strong
there is no way they would ever make good LGD's.>>

I'm not exactly sure how you are defining "roaming" but that instinct to go
well out beyond the flock and establish territorial boundries is indeed a
common characteristic of Pyrs who are guarding large range situations where
there desire to "roam" (not what I would call it) is not impeded in any
way.  I once had a bitch on 1,000 range acres with 500 head of sheep.  Her
owner told me that she just totally disappeared 3 or 4 times a day.  He
said, "I don't know where she goes, and I don't really care.  I haven't
lost a lamb since she put foot on my property".  So, the wide ranging
quality of many Pyrs is not necessarily contradictory to their job.  Full
blown separation anxiety is a different matter entirely.

Linda