Re: Re(2): [pyrnet] ANOTHER Pyr jumping fence

Lisa, a real electric fence does hurt ( I know for a fact!), but it will
not hurt the dog in the sense of harming it, and even on regular electric
fencers there are usually settings
( at least two ).  It still is probably going to hurt a Pyr. less than it
hurts us, because of the coat .  Unless he were to hit it on the moist
areas, like his black moist nose part.
Could happen, but less likely than hitting a furred part.

You can find them in pet catalogs, or at feed/farm stores.
Usually cities have a few of those around.  Do you get any of the dog
catalog?  A lot of those places have farm versions of their catalogs.  If
you don't have any, or want more info. let me know and I will pass on
some numbers so you can get one, check them out and order.  The electric
fencers themselves come in different sizes for the area you need to
cover.  Also electric and solar.   There is a dog version, but I have no
idea if it puts out enough power, especially for a Pyr.  Does anyone on
the list know?  Smooth wire and T-posts, should complete your needs.  I
commend you highly for trying to make this effort, it sounds like you
have really tried, and are making every effort to keep that boy safe.  As
I said before, if your kids should hit it, they will know it, and count
on tears.  I doubt they will repeat the mistake.  Unlike us adults who
live with it , and still seem to get the jolt more than we want.  When
you first put it up and on, walk with him along it.  Most animals sense
it ( I never know if it is by scent or hearing ).  After having it on for
awhile and stopping the habit, you may eventually be able to turn it off.
 Or only put it on on occasion.  At any rate, it may be the only way to
keep him really safe, and I give you credit for your effort!  Let me know
if I can tell you more or be more helpful, or if you need catalog info.!
:-)  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas