Re: [pyrnet] Invisible fences and Pyrs with Anxiety

On 25 Jan 01, at 8:37, Linda Weisser wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure how you are defining "roaming" but that instinct to
> go well out beyond the flock and establish territorial boundries is indeed
> a common characteristic of Pyrs who are guarding large range situations
> where there desire to "roam" (not what I would call it) is not impeded in
> any way.

Yes, thank you Linda, I do understand the establishment of territory
in the working LGD, especially in large range operations.  I'm
talking about the dogs we see in rescue that will not accept any type
of containment until they are completely outwitted. Many of these
dogs were not contained, were not with livestock and were allowed to
roam and when the dog is put into a situation where they are
contained they have a very hard time.  It seems they are *obsessed
with escape.  I often ponder how this type of dog would do in a
livestock situation. Either a large range operation or small family
farm with fencing.  Would they be out expanding their territory so
much that the predator would sneak in the back door so to speak? I
wonder if the equation of bonding even enters into a dog with this
type of temperament.  Also these rescues were not trained for
livestock work and I wonder how much they had even bonded with their
owners. Is this type of behavior a result of their environment and
how they were raised, or is it a short circuit?

In the case of my own rescue Rita.  I know her history.  She roamed a
20 square mile radius.  Chased cars and joggers, was never contained
until I got her < age 2-3?>.  The first time I let her loose on a 25'
drag on my 3 acres, she explored the entire acreage, checking all
corners and posts looking for a way out.  I get the impression ' she
decided to stay ' ! <grin>  She is not a climber or jumper, but she
will go through or under anything she can. She escaped once and again
I get the feeling she allowed us to catch her. If she truly went on a
walk-a-bout I doubt she would return.  She loves people and would
probably go with anyone, as she did with the ladies who found her
along the highway and took her to the shelter.  She jumped right into
their car, ready to go. As in the case of my Rita, many of our
fosters will check out the containment and then accept it.  Then
there are those who won't.

 Also, none of these dogs I am talking about are well bred pyrs with
attention to conformation and temperament.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://members.aol.com/greatpyrenees/judys/judy.htm