Re: [pyrnet] Epilepsy

15 years to go before I reach 63 and I wish I had enough hair to be gray.
I changed Codys food one week before he had a seizure.
Cody has bad knees and we have been giving him Conglosamen Condriten for over a year. Same dose and make. To cold here for fleas but back in August we used a flea topical on him but he had a bath or two since then and had know trouble till this last week. We treat our guys natural way, (paracleans for worms, black walnut for heart worm...That is the strange thing about all of this the only thing different was his food, from Alpo to Pedigree. The reason we change was the dye in the food seem to give him some trouble off and on over the last 4 months. Since the change he has had know trouble (diarrhea) I would love to put him on a all natural diet but he had to much trouble with it when we did try it. As to Codys Thyroid we had that check not long ago and a blood work up.The vet is at a lose, but did say it might be from the food change but seem unsure about such a thing as he never heard of a seizure from a change of food.The reason the vet thought Cody may have been poisoned was because of the pattern of his seizures, the same time each month. He felt that someone was poisoning him a little at a time, it would build up very slow to the point he would have a seizure and the seizures seem to be getting worse each time. You see I use to let my guys run free in and out of the house as they wanted when we are not at home but stopped it over a year ago till the other day when we had warm up. (No More). Stella is from NZ and a great lady with a lot of experience with pyrs, we use to talk here all the time, was not sure if she was still here, but I did mail here asking what she thought about the food.

Is  that 63 or 6ft3" Dan?? Just like to clarify these things.  Is your hair really blonde or gray??  Can I ask how long ago did you "change foods" and from what to what? Also what was the "leg medicine " for? Where was Stella from?  End of questions . Never give the "wife's age Dan , could be detrimental to your health.

Was there any other medication you were giving Cody, any flea preparations, anything out of the ordinary that may have triggered an attack off?  Why did you or the Vet think he may have been poisoned a while ago?  Be interested to know why you would change his diet and for what reason? Have never seen a dog have a fit so can't help there but have been following a thread on another list (not Pyrs) where epilepsy has been a problem.

My thoughts Dan?  Can you put him back onto his original diet and see what happens?  Is there any testing available for dogs suffering from epileptic fits?  Am sure there will be others with input on this.  Would thyroid problems cause this sort of thing? Have others from the litter or parents etc suffered from this?
Jan
Jan Chaplin
Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans