[pyrnet] Newspaper Pet Prices

From: <clhenke@juno.com>
<< Karen, just thought you might be interested.  In todays paper there were
21 ads. for Labs. From $75. up to $650. Average price $350 to 400.!  English
Mastiffs range from $500. to $2,000.  There were only six ads.  Usually
there are about 15 ads.  Thanks for
sending those, it is good to get an idea of what people have to deal with in
each area of the country.   >>

I didn't look through the whole section.  On average there at least 100+ ads
for dogs in the weekend paper.  Labs/Goldens are most popular but the prices
really do have a wide range.  Sometimes I'll call those "Free to good home"
ads and inquire as to how the folks are screening potential homes.  Many
times people have NO idea that there are laboratories that want their dogs
for testing, or people who have less then honorable intentions.  I've also
run across people (both in rescue and from newspaper calls) who have
contracts with their breeders that states that they MUST return the dog, but
they're embarrased, yadda, yadda...  Education, education... <sigh> it never
ends.

Best Wishes,
Karen