Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders (was Shelters and Breeders)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about stock breeder Pyrs., and I
have noticed is, how many of the ranchers just assume a breeding out in
the field is going to be a purebred breeding.  Seems I am always hearing,

" Oh my male would kill any other dog on sight ".  Not taking anything
away from a Pyr. now watching out for a female in heat, we all know just
how dedicated "any" male dog is
( with the help of a female ) of getting to the female when she is in
heat.  I am always left wondering just what is mixed in some of these
Pyrs. that still go out with papers.
I just don't know that I am really comfortable assuming that these stock
Pyr.  are in fact totally purebred.  This may also be adding to
personality problems and conformation problems when these dogs show up in
rescue!  Especially since Pyr. appearance seems very dominant, that which
looks like a Pyr. may not be purely a Pyr.  Unless everyone is doing
blood work on this, you just won't know.  My original four are out of
working parents, and were ranch bred, so I am not knocking others without
questioning it in my own.  I just don't think of a ranch bred dog, many
are being left to breed on their own in the field, that you are always
getting what you think you are!  Just my opinion of course!  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka