Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders (was Shelters and Breeders)

In a message dated 1/29/01 8:05:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, tom@edge.net
writes:

Probably, but if I were to get a 4-6 month old house-bred dog from a
conformation breeder, the chances would be very good that it would take
many months to learn how to guard.  During that time, I might have a dog
that would try to play with the stock, try to get back into the house, or
one that would have no interest in guarding my flock.  So ... I'd probably
go t a breeder who raises his/her dogs for guarding, and with a flock,
rather than for conformation, and in the house.

You are making a lot of assumptions above that simply are not true in the
main.  You "probably" and you "might" get all the above with any dog.  In the
main Pyrs guard naturally and instinctually.  This very old ingrained
instinct is not lost at present in any breeding lines that I am aware.  Even
in England where basically LGD do not exist and never have, English bred dogs
for many generations, have come over and guarded naturally and just as
effectively as the worker dog breeders.  You have to understand that most
breeders of working dogs started off either with dogs from other worker dog
breeders who "all" went back to the show kennels. They bought off the bottom
of the litters or from puppy mills.  Basically they started with the least of
the bunch in all respects.  What makes you now think these dogs suddenly
become super Pyrs.  Like begets like basically.  They bought into and now
promote the notion that is self serving that their dogs guard and show dogs
do not.  It is not true.  There will always be problem individuals in any
line of breeding, but in the main all Pyrs guard and guard naturally and
effectively.  The real argument that is valid is some show kennels have no
interest in their dogs guarding and actually promote them as not to be used
for same.  That's their choice, but their dogs will guard if placed a working
environment.
Conformation breeders want looks and body structure as much as they want LGD
performance.

Certainly you are not saying that a good structure in a working dog is not
important?  The beauty part is simply a natural functional by product of the
breeding that occurred in the Pyrenees Mountains for very possibly 5000
years.  The one area I would be very critical of show breeders is the coat.
Some of them are not suited for guarding and tangle and mat too much.  The
instincts of the dog are there for guarding, but the coat would foul the dog
up too much.  There is a correct flat coat that is dry and does not catch the
shedding undercoat that is lovely and can win in the show ring easily, but
some have and want the more wiry stand off coat that they can fluff out and
actually groom the dog to appear larger and cover many faults.  There are
many breeders for show who do not want that because it is not correct, so
this practice by some does not change the subject any in my view.

Joe