Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders

Terry, first off GSD's were bred as herding dogs, what they became later
is what a lot of breeds became.  Airedales used to be used in Police
work, Boxers, any number of breeds may move into other positions.  The
fact remains, GSD's are a recent breed.  Secondly popularity and over
production by the masses are what brings breeds down.  Indiscriminate
breeding producing far too many dogs without caring about the end
results.

It is far easier to corrupt what is new and less well set, than what is
ancient, and has withstood the test of time.
We are talking about thousands of years vs. probably 200 or less.

Now you have jumped in to a common notion that a dog needs to be bad and
aggressive in order to get a job done.  It is incorrect as our Pyrs.
prove.  It is even a bad thing in this day and age, with law  suits the
way they are.  It is more to this breeds favor that they know when to be
easy going and sweet, and yet still can do their jobs so well.

While I have some problems with the way AKC handles it's business, I also
know that it is not the AKC that changes the dogs.  It is the whim and
fancy of those who breed the dog.  The bigger the production and
popularity of the breed, the more changes.  Instead of a limited number
of people breeding well and maintaining standards, it becomes the mass
population making a buck, and not caring if the parts come together well.
 Then their attitude becomes, "pretty dogs can't work", in order to
promote the dogs they breed of lesser quality.  They actually play at
being breeders, if we mix an Anatolian with a Pyr. we get????  Well, it
doesn't really work that way.  It is a more prolonged effort to "set" a
breed.  And in this case your going more backwards than creating
something new and better.  The Pyr. is probably the more improved version
anyway.  It has attained social graces to go with it's ability to defend.

Anyway, GSD's became too popular for their own good and thus the apparent
downfall.  Labs, appear to be heading this way as well ( also not an old
breed), for the same reason.  Dalmatians ( these do have a longer
history) have certainly suffered purely at the hands of extreme
popularity and over breeding by the masses.  I personally think the
Europeans are laughing their way to the bank, as we keep paying foolish
amounts to bring their dogs in, thinking they are better.  Back to the "
fool and his money are soon parted"!

The problems for Pyrs. will be if too many breed in an indiscriminate
manor without knowledge of breeding or the original design that these
dogs were created for.  I can only hope that they never become too
popular.
IMO  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com