Re: [pyrnet] Feedback on Amimal Planet presentation on Pyrs?

I would be interested in what folks thought of the program?

I had a real problem with some of the content.  The segment where the young
dog, first time with the old Ewe was chased caused me a problem as I know the
results they portrayed could have been much different.  Young dogs can be
intimidated by this type circumstance, but it does not exclude them from
working very well later.  It also does something else that I had happen.  Had
a young dog go to a farm and the old ewe's did probably as this one did.  The
young dog did retreat initially, but once he became acclimated to his turf it
was quite different.  He then retaliated against these old ewes.  Not
acceptable, but he only retaliated against the two out to over 20 that had
been aggressive toward him.  He had no problems with any others.  Even this
behavior was not acceptable as he should have never gone after them for any
reason.  He is used now with all the rest they just are sure he never is in
with these two old ewes.  An older dog, more experienced, would have taken
the aggression from the Ewe and not ever sought retaliation or maybe the dog
thinks these ewes are dangerous to the rest.  Who knows what this instinct is
being manifest as. This by itself did not make this young pup not suitable
for guarding.  It only meant there was some work to be done, but IMHO the
breeder/handler needs some work as well.

The other part that bothered me greatly was the dog with Lux patella and the
cruciate rupture.  While they finally did mention briefly in passing the word
"genetic" one time, they stressed "injury" by itself over and over.  No
mention about genetic problems or trying to make sure the dogs come from
breeders who try not to have such conditions and stand behind their dogs.  My
concern is they did not in my opinion do anything to warn or bring up the
conscious level of he public of the need to ask and investigate the purchase
of the pup they might buy.  In fact I saw little to recommend this about the
breed itself.  Great story about the bitch going to the pet spa.  The drool
part may have suggested that all Pyrs drool like this one.  They could have
said one could say this dog has a loose mouth and a good mouth would not
produce this level of drool.  Good part on how the Pyr will be so tolerant of
young and how they will guard anything.  Good part on how they are laid back
as well.  Did I hear them say the Pyr did not bark a lot?  If so, that is
real wrong.

What did others think?

Joe