Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

In a message dated 2/26/01 1:06:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
d.b.brown@mindspring.com writes:

moderate VWD

I may be a little slow this morning, but what is this?  Many dogs are shown
with different degrees of defects.  Many have been shown with dysplasia.  If
someone wants to show a dog with dysplasia and it will not be excused from
the ring, they can and have many times.  Judging should pick out the best
animal and it should be able to be used as some indication of quality.  This
can be used as one point in determining breeding suitability.  To me one
judges opinion is the worst indicator of a dogs suitability for breeding.  In
fact some judges are completely incompetent and clueless.  A few (very few)
judges opinions carry weight as far as quality.  Problem is we like the
judges who place out dogs first and dislike the others. Judges should be able
to judge the dog in relation to the standard.  Few really can to the point it
could be considered a really good job which is what you would want in making
breeding decisions.  My suggestion to anyone who want a breeding assessment
is go to a breeder who has been around a long time and has many indicators of
their knowledge of the breed.  If they will talk with you and some will not
as they do not want to get involved in telling you that your Poopsey is not
worthy of breeding (they know most likely you already have your mind made up
and just want someone to tell you are right).  Some might if you approach
them properly and persuade them you want to learn and not just to breed your
Poopsey.

So it is a pretty complicate subject and one that there is no one good
answer.

Joe