Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

At 06:21 AM 2/26/01 -0500, JGentzel@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/26/01 1:06:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> d.b.brown@mindspring.com writes:
>

>> moderate VWD
>

> I may be a little slow this morning, but what is this?

Von Willebrand's, a blood clotting deficiency.

>  To me one
> judges opinion is the worst indicator of a dogs suitability for breeding.
 In

> fact some judges are completely incompetent and clueless.  A few (very few)
> judges opinions carry weight as far as quality.  Problem is we like the
> judges who place out dogs first and dislike the others. Judges should be
able

> to judge the dog in relation to the standard.

This is the other half of the equation on which I'm unclear.  I can certainly
understand wanting your dog to win & the competitive aspects, however what I
can't seem to get clear on is why an "incompetent & clueless" judge continues
to be used.  As a member of a local all breed club or regional Pyr club a
member has (or should have) input as to who is selected for judging
assignments.  Why then select anyone who you (generic "you" here) feel would
give less than an educated opinion? If I brought my girl out & she was placed
by one of these judges then I'd think that somewhat of a hollow victory, which
I guess really speaks to my first post. Is this a sport or is the purpose of
showing to make sure the breed continues to adhere to the standard?

David Brown