Re: [pyrnet] FWD: Dogchat, Events: Crufts Statement

Crufts and Westminster probably compete for the title as the worlds most
important dog show.  I suspect the FCI would take issue with that and I would
place the French National along side these two.  So it would be like
canceling Westminster due to some threat of what? Foot and mouth disease?  Is
this anything like Hoof and Mouth disease?   I am probably just ignorant of
the threat.

Cufts usually has an entry of between 20 and 25 thousand dogs spread over four days now. Every dog must have qualified at a lower classed show in order to compete. It usually considered the "peke" of a judges career to be asked to judge @ this event. A judge is usually asked to work @ the show two years in advance and does not judge that breed during this time.  The event takes place at the Birmingham Exhibition Centre this is the same centre where the LKA show takes place which is numerically the largest show in the UK.
For Crufts to be postponed must be a logistical nightmare not considering the cost to the KC.  The cost to the exhibiter is in the region of $50 per class.  Not only has Cufts been postponed but also the Cheltenham Gold Cup race meeting which is one of the richest and most prodigious meetings in the world has been put off.   It is really heartbreaking to see the cloven hoofed stock being slaughtered to prevent the spread of the disease.  There is a danger that it may spread to the wildlife and that the deer and hedgehogs and most of the rest of the animals will have to be mass slaughtered.
These events have been cancelled because of the coming together of people and animals from many different parts of the country and then passing on the problems by contact, returning and spreading foot and mouth to other areas.  Thousands and thousands of farm animals have been slaughtered and burned. Foot and mouth mostly affects cloven hoofed animals as in pigs, sheep,cattle, and goats.  When the problem is detected in one beast on a farm every beast has to be slaughtered ASAP with no exceptions. I am afraid this this may carry on for a few weeks more yet. Many farm workers have already been let go and farmers are not allowed to move or sell their stock, or move them to slaughter.  Transport firms have already gone broke.  The French have already slaughtered 20,000 sheep imported from UK two weeks ago although there were no cases three of the sheep were found to have Foot and mouth antibodies in their systems!     Would be exhibiters for Crufts from Europe have been told that their dogs may not be allowed back into their country of origin if they come to England. Of course all this has meant a meat price hike!
We all hope that this does not last too long.
Ian