Re: [pyrnet] Foot and mouth disease?

    Is there a vaccination or anything for this with sheep or goats?  How bad is it with horses even though they are not cloven?  And is there any risk of it in the US at this time?  We have one bottle fed pet sheep and the horses and goat are pets as well, would break my heart if something like this happened.

Chrissy

It is really heartbreaking to see the cloven hoofed stock being slaughtered to prevent the spread of the disease.  There is a danger that it may spread to the wildlife and that the deer and hedgehogs and most of the rest of the animals will have to be mass slaughtered.
These events have been cancelled because of the coming together of people and animals from many different parts of the country and then passing on the problems by contact, returning and spreading foot and mouth to other areas.  Thousands and thousands of farm animals have been slaughtered and burned. Foot and mouth mostly affects cloven hoofed animals as in pigs, sheep,cattle, and goats.  When the problem is detected in one beast on a farm every beast has to be slaughtered ASAP with no exceptions. I am afraid this this may carry on for a few weeks more yet. Many farm workers have already been let go and farmers are not allowed to move or sell their stock, or move them to slaughter.  Transport firms have already gone broke.  The French have already slaughtered 20,000 sheep imported from UK two weeks ago although there were no cases three of the sheep were found to have Foot and mouth antibodies in their systems!     Would be exhibiters for Crufts from Europe have been told that their dogs may not be allowed back into their country of origin if they come to England. Of course all this has meant a meat price hike!
We all hope that this does not last too long.
Ian