Re(2): [pyrnet] FWD: Dogchat, Events: Crufts Statement

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>While hoof and mouth doesn't
>kill an animal like anthrax would, the painful sores causes the animal to
>have poor health and will die a slow death
From a piece I saw on the news last night, apparently it *does* kill young
animals, although older ones usually recover. It causes a fever and other
symptoms also. It's highly contagious, and apparently can be transmitted
easily by humans, vehicle tires, practically anything that's been in
contact with an infected area. It's one of the reasons why countries like
New Zealand, that are so dependent on agriculture and have so far escaped
this particular disease, have such long quarantine periods and are so
strict about agricultural inspections when you enter the country.
I assume that Crufts was postponed because dogs, like humans, can be
carriers.
Ann W