From: mapleway
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 2:49 PM
Subject: LGDs

Hi,

    A lady in our area contacted me about giving a talk on Pyrs as livestock guardians.  I know the benefits and what the guys do here but (thankfully) we've not yet had a problem.  There are bobcats and coyotes all over the hollow but so far they've not come around us, probably because of the Pyrs.  However, I'm not sure what all I should say and how I should say it.  Jennifer is supposed to help me put it together but I'm the one who has to get up in front of everyone.  I know I don't want it to drag out but I want to make specific points on successfully using LGDs as well as keeping them safe with certain methods and using more than one dog.  Many of these people have many hundreds of acres (sometimes thousands) and those that live up in the mountains have to face not only bobcats, coyotes, coy-dogs and strays but cougars, red wolves and bear as well.  I know that Pyrs handled wolves and bear (not sure about cougars) all the time in the Pyrenees Mts. and believe mine could if they had to, but am always hearing how (in this country) people put only one or two Pyrs or other LGD breeds in with a huge flock of sheep and on an enormous acreage and the dog(s) get killed because there's too much for one or two to keep an eye on.  The dogs usually seem to come from people who just have puppies and are owned by someone who does nothing but put them out and leave them, which we know Pyrs were bred to be left alone for days and nights at a time but often had several other Pyrs, spiked collars and different times a person or two.  The conditions they're often put in here in the US along with it being drilled in peoples' heads to buy from "working only" stock and put no real effort into molding their natural abilities seems to be working against the dogs.
    I know that so far we haven't had any problems (knock on wood) but I've seen Rajah and the others work and can say I have complete confidence they could take something on and would back each other up.
    If you can think of anything I could include, please let me know.....I've also been a bit worried what they'll all think of me showing as well....some people tend to think if a dog shows it can't work and if it works it can't show.  Thanks.

Talk later!
Chrissy

P.S.
Here is a clip of the message.

> I'm president of the Appalachian Goat
> Association and each month we hold our meetings in Spencer, WV.  We like to
> have a program each meeting that will be of benefit to goat owners.  A topic
> that would interest me and I think some of our other breeders would be the
> benefit of owning an LGD.  I'm not familiar with all the breeds but one that
> has caught my attention is the Great Pyrenees.
I'm wondering if you would