Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

In a message dated 3/11/01 10:50:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Pacerized@aol.com writes:

I may have missed something on this in an earlier post,
but are you talking about a particular bone, or the overall shape of each
bone.  What are you referring to in "the oval bone is the long bone".  Just
interested after having seen several build types in pyrs.

The long bones in legs.  An overall oval shape as opposed the round "tree
trunk" shape seen much to much.  It would be most evident in front.  Some of
our groomers groom to give the appearance of this large round shape thinking
it is what is wanted or possibly thinking, correctly that our judges being
ignorant, will like it.  Anyway when you feel the legs you know the oval from
the round, many times larger heavier bone.  The important thing about the
oval shape is the physics of the shape makes the bone stronger, lighter, and
thus the dog can generate more sprint speed in chasing and cutting around the
flocks.  The bone preferred incorrectly too much is the larger bone seen in
Newfs and Saints.  This bone many times is round, heavier, and larger.
Our AKC standard says moderate bone.

Unfortunately many of our top winning Pyrs come with this heavy bone.  Take a
look at the top winning dogs and in some of them you will see what I speak.
Most times this heavy carriers over to the rest of the dog including the
head, etc.  Not too much to be said for a dogs type when the main thing
correct about the head type is the small almond shaped eyes, set on an
otherwise very overdone head with a flat dome and plenty of flaws.  But I
guess there are many that cannot even claim very good eyes.

Joe