Re: [pyrnet] Fw: Fw: LGDs, giving a talk

    Am preparing a section all for that.  :)  I definitely want to get the right messages across.

Thanks Barb,  :)
Chrissy

One of the things I would stress, and I mean stress, is that spayed and neutered dogs are more likely to stay home with the stock. At this point, the last thing this breed needs, is another goat or sheep or whatever farmer, breeding Pyrs. While many farmers may understand the complexities of genetics and doing health checks before breeding, many do not and a cash crop is a cash crop. Yes, I admit I am biased in this way. My first Pyr came from a farm/puppymill breeder in WV and he had terrible health, awful hips and lousy temperament. And while this may not be a problem with the group before which you will be speaking, it takes only one irresponsible breeder to double, triple or quadruple the number of Pyrs in Rescue in your area. And it grows exponentially from there. Better to err on the side of caution and stress spay/neuter.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com