Re: [pyrnet] New to list

----- Original Message -----
From: <Mark_Harrison@colliers.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 1:22 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] New to list

> Hello,
>
> I am new to the list and am here to find more valuable info on the Great
> Pyrenees.  I have read extensively about the breed and am on a waiting
list
> for a male up for adoption sometime in June (a puppy).

Hello Mark. And congratulations on choosing a pyr!

 I was curious as to
> what other owners opinions or comments were with regard to the Great
> Pyrenees and their desire to wander as well as whether they are indeed
hard
> to train as every book that I have read has stated

I wouldn't say that pyrs are hard to train. As they are very smart and quick
to learn. It is more that they are a little hard headed at times. And if
they think they know better than you or their attention is directed
elsewhere it can be hard to get them to cooperate. Yes, they can be very
persistent barkers! LOL! So be prepared for that. And I really would not
take a chance on counting on the dog to be able to be reliable off lead.
Better safe than sorry is my motto. You should also know that some of them
can be real escape artists. Especially if they are bored or are not given
sufficient attention. So you should make sure you have sturdy fencing in
place. And even then you should not leave the dog unattended in the fenced
in area until you are sure they are trustworthy. On the up side, they are
wonderful, loving companions! Smart, sweet and very funny at times. Enjoy
your dog when you get him.
Marie and Beau