Re: [pyrnet] Coats/Elaine

 Last summer, when Jasper was eight months old and suffering from our hot
New
> England summer, we elected to have him trimmed/shaved. We did this with
the
> advice of our groomer (and against the advice of all the books) who is
> herself an experienced Pyr owner. It worked out well and Jasper's coat
came
> back very quickly. His coat is still somewhat soft to the touch, but our
> groomer feels that it is his adult coat. NOTE: Jasper does not like to
have
> his tail brushed/groomed. Does anyone else have a Pyr with a sensitive
> tail????

Terry, sorry to be late responding on this -- been out of town.  With
regards to clipping a dog, there was an programme on our local NPR talking
about clipping dogs.  For here in SC anyway, they recommended doing it in
March, June and once again in August.  Last July I clipped the rescue we
were fostering, and by the fall her fur had grown out beautifully.  The
main thing is not to let the dog out in the sun if it is clipped.  They
don't tan, but burn.

This rescue as well as our oldest Pyr do not like their tail brushed.  I
try to be careful when doing it.  Try spraying some conditioner on the fur
before brushing.  It will help to ease the tangles.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffan