[pyrnet] Rescues

Hi All,

    First let me ask everyone to send this message to any person, rescue, list, etc. that you think might be interested in helping these animals.  This is Cocker/Guardian dog related as well as many others.

    Yesterday, Jennifer Robbins and I went to the Harrison County Humane Society after seeing pictures of some pups they had that resembled Great Pyrenees.  It turned out the markings were all that really made them look like this, they were way too small, etc., probably Jack Russell mixes.
    Anyway, we really liked the atmosphere and cleanliness of the place.  It's almost like a house, they have a big fenced in yard the dogs are taken out to play in, they're given baths, played with, plenty of food and water, clean indoor/outdoor runs.  Same with the cats except they're not in runs.  Everything is clean, calm and smells good.
    I gave them my name and number and told them if they ever get any Cockers, Pyrs or mixes of either to let me know so I could contact rescue.  They have us on their list and gave an example such as they have several cats at this time so now they're calling everyone who's wanted a cat so this reassured me that they will call if these breeds turn up.
    We then went down the drive to the "Dog Control Center".
    In short, we were appalled!!  (I must tell you that tears come to my eyes as I have to think about it to write to you all about this.)  The conditions these dogs are in just blows my mind.  We are in the process of finding out who's in charge and what the rules are.  Below I will provide a list and description of the dogs we saw yesterday so that if anyone is interested or knows of anyone or rescue that is, we can go get them out of there.
    First, at the Humane Society, as I said everything was clean, smelled nice the animals were bathed and played with not to mention fed and access to comfortable beds.
    Now for the pound.  They don't have a fenced in yard like the HCHS, they do have several indoor/outdoor runs, however....
We walked in and the employees were playing around at something.  I just know, we walked in the door and the guy at the front desk greeted us while some other guy popped in from a back office/room and then ducked back in exclaiming "why didn't you tell me someone was out there" before we could even tell what was going on.  So we asked to see the dogs, he says O.K. and takes us through the door, now I hear "you did say dogs, right"  we said yes and were guided to another door and instructed to turn on the lights when we walked in.  It was pitch dark and smelled of everything imaginable!  A few runs had single dogs, two were empty (one being the "quarantine" that was right by everyone else with junk stashed in it, most had at least two but usually several dogs to one run and weren't permitted to the outside part of the runs!  They never get a break from the smell, the darkness or the noise this room echoes.  The sound was worse than being at an indoor dog show and all the dogs bellowing at once.  Sorry, just the only way I knew to describe it.  We could not hear, so you know how bad their ears ring.
    The floor was, of course, concrete but there was only one small pipe and fabric type "bed" for these many dogs, most very large, too large for even one to fit on the bed.  Many of the beds, however, were folded up and not even let down for the dogs and some of the runs had no bed.  There was one rabbit type feeder and one water bowl per run, all had water that I noticed but most had very little food and some had none.  They were all dirty, most filthy and smelly, some quite timid and a few aggressive to one another although nice to us.  One litter must have just been caught and thrown in the run completely wild, all together and growled from just being looked at or talked to sweetly.  Not even sure if a few of those pups were alive as they were all piled on top of each other and one or two were crammed underneath the bed.
    We were in there for quite a while, kept the guy past quitting time, talking to the dogs, looking over them and taking notes.  A few acted too timid to try petting at first but after a while of Jen and I talking to them they came around, actually wagged their tail and asked to be pet.
    Oh, there was poo no one bothered to clean up either....right on the bed.
    The description given most of these dogs was due to coloring or something, sometimes that didn't even make sense.  We couldn't tell with them all but I believe we took greater pains in trying to figure out what they might be than the people working there did.
    I believe every animal should have a chance but if euthanasia is a must, it should at least be done in humane conditions with friends around when you go.  These dogs deserve to be let out in the outer part of their runs, to be bathed, to have their runs thoroughly cleaned and disinfected everyday, to have plenty of food and water for each animal, adequate and comfortable bedding, if there isn't enough runs to then be paired with compatible personalities and to have playtime outside in a fenced "yard" with people everyday.
    We didn't get to see the cats at the "Dog Control Center" yesterday but plan to sometime this week, I can just imagine!  Of course, they deserve wonderful, clean treatment and socialization as well.

    Below is a list of the dogs there yesterday and our descriptions of them.  I'm not sure on the female/male status of all of them.

1st run:  Shar-Pei; black, short/medium coat, nice, has cherry eye in both otherwise beautiful red-brown eyes, docked tail.
(rt. side) Husky; gray and white, typical husky markings, medium coat, blue eyes, nice.
             Chow mix; Apricot is the best I can think, medium/long coat, nice although somewhat reserved
These guys got into a few scuffles but were easily quieted by Jen or I.

2nd run:  Collie mix; sable, long coat, nice to people
              German Shepherd mix; light tan/sable with black, short/medium coat, possible Anatolian Shepherd or something in the
              mix, very large and loveable, huge head, sweet face, nice to people.
These guys tolerated each other but would then get in big fights.  We finally got them broke up but they had a big grudge.  We told the employee as they had an open run but he said the warden found them together and thought they might even be related....can you believe this....that they were probably just fighting for attention and kept them together, they probably killed each other last night.

3rd run:  Doberman mix; black/brown and tan, short coat, natural ears, nice
             Collie; sable and white like Lassie, long coat, nice
Both very sweet and loving.  The Collie is calm and the Dobie just craves attention, yet calm.

4th run:  Rottweiler; black and tan of course, short coat, nice, very friendly, tail docked
             Rott pup; her puppy, black with tan points, short coat, nice although a little shy, might be mixed, tail left long
Guess the pup was the last of the litter the owners couldn't "get rid of" even though it was all of 4-5 weeks old, didn't want to spend $50.00 on getting the Momma spayed and took them both to the pound.

5th run:  Black and tan mix; short coat, nice
             Possible Shepherd mix; tan/sable with black, short/medium coat, nice
             Several small Beagle mix puppies; all colors including the "pink" (Billy breed) coloring, short coat, nice
Blk/tn and Shep are very friendly, the pups act friendly but were all huddled together in the front of the run trying to sleep.

6th run:  Catahoula Leopard Dog/Shepherd (Anatolian, maybe German) mix; Large, very friendly and gentle, color markings like a
             Catahoula, short/medium coat, nice
Very loving dog, starved for attention but still very loving and really gentle.

7th run:  Cocker/Terrier mix; black with a touch of white on chest, long/soft coat, nice, happy, "half tail" not short and not long
             Basset Hound mix; possibly with Beagle, black/tan/white, short coat, nice
Both these guys/gals are very friendly, have probably been pets.

8th run:  German Shepherd/Collie mix puppies; several light and dark sable, short/medium coat, one black, medium/long coat
All huddled together in the back trying to sleep, some may come around, one liked to growl.

9th run:  Dachshund mix puppy; black with tan points, soft/long coat, small, cute, nice
(lft. side) Extremely friendly yet extremely calm, very sweet.
(in back)

10th run:  Poodle; white, soft, medium/long, curly coat, older, natural tail, nice
A little timid at first, warmed up and was very friendly.  Has probably been the pet of some nice old lady.

11th run:  Empty

12th run:  Doberman mix; possibly with hound, refined, black and tan, short/medium coat, natural ears, shy yet nice
               Dobie mix puppies; hers probably, black and tan, short/medium coat, natural ears but Shepherd type, nice
Mom, friendly to people, was a little defensive of her pups with other dogs.  Puppies, very friendly, loved attention.

13th run:  Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever; possibly mix, liver/chocolate, medium/long/soft coat, nice
Very friendly and loves attention.

14th run:  Havanese/Bearded Collie mix; looks something like Bolognese or Polish Lowland Sheepdog, black and white, long/soft
               coat, nice
               Small German Shepherd mix; light sable with black "saddle", short/medium coat, nice, a little shy
First one is very friendly and happy.  Second one is a little shy but friendly.

15th run:  "Quarantine".  Empty.

    Some of these dogs' last day is today, some have until Thursday or Friday and some are "at their discretion".  Many "acted up" with the employee while becoming much calmer if we took them, petting, scratching and mooching at them.
    Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you,
Chrissy
Cocker Spaniels and Great Pyrenees