Re: [pyrnet] Re: separation anxiety

karen,
i had a female w/the same problem.  she was about a year and a half old, and
she even chewed a hole through the wallboard - 2x, actually (this was in my
mothers house - my father never found out...hehe!) as a puppy, the people
who had her prior to me, would leave her in the house alone while they were
gone up to a week.  they had her do her "duties" on a puppy potty training
sheet.  and, she was flat out neglected w/her size, skin and coat to show
it.  so, that's what contributed to hers.  i had her on amitriptyline and
for her, that did better than the clomicalm.  i would much rather use that
than ace b/c the ace is so powerful and the effects have to make them feel
like junk, i'm sure.  that's what they use to sedate for surgeries and
stuff - it's pretty heavy.

i also did the kennel thing and doing it repeatedly off and on until she got
used to it.  thing is, w/her - and i'm sure it's b/c she's a stubborn pyr
;-) - it took a while.  i think what worked the best for me was an
overabundance of praise when i got home and found she was good.  and, i
didn't use a kennel as in fence kennel, i used a wire crate.

try putting something of yours in their kennel w/your scent on it along
w/any toys, old socks, etc - anything that they really like, too.  their
favorite stuff.  you may have done this already, i'm not sure.  also, and
this may sound dorky, but i said things like "your bedroom" for the kennel -
between that and their stuff it will become more like their own.  putting
them in it where they could see you at first and then gradually move them
farther away helps, too, if you can do that.  heck, reinforcing good
behavior w/a treat never hurts - maybe you could try that when you do the
going away for small periods of time.  then, everytime you come home and let
them back out to potty, give them one, too.

sheiba did get better w/o doubt, and all of a sudden one day i realized it.
i leave her no problem now. also, remember that they can feel your stress or
anxiety, too, which in turn will affect them.  so if you have any stress,
understand that they will add that to theirs, too.  lots of love helps
there, i think.  my male did major destruction while i was gone b/c he and i
were both stressed b/c of 3 jobs and a litter of pups.  and, that's the only
time he's done anything like that.

hope this helps a little at least.  oh.....and i swear by those "kong"
toys.....dogs love them and they guarantee them. and, they don't tear up and
are good for repeated use! stick a treat inside of it.  can't hurt! ;-)

allison